Saturday 11 April 2015

Biddestone (II), Wiltshire


Going back through my sketchbooks I keep finding extra drawings - this is the font from Biddestone. Our main quarry was this amazing doorway and its delicious wonky Norman cross, which is something quite special. But this font is also so nice in retrospect - it's extremely straightforward (if you ignore the reasonably sympathetic chunky lid). The tub is super simple, decorated with just one massive zigzag.

And the base is also interesting - I'd imagine it's contemporary, which (now B and I have seen a few) isn't always the case. It has four interesting knobbles - and I wish I'd taken more care to examine them, but I do know they'd been hacked about, and I suppose could have been faces (and hence upset the types that went icon-smashing).

Otherwise, my main memory of Biddestone church is the half-eaten biscuits we found lying about. I can't really hazard a guess about them.

Norman carved cross and capitals from Biddestone church, Wiltshire

Images copyright Rhiannon 2015.

1 comment:

  1. The biscuits! chocolate digestive, if I recall... It's nice to be rediscovering things from before - and nice to think they are still there to be discovered again.

    ReplyDelete